Saint-Louis-de-Kent has several historic places included in the New Brunswick Register of Historic Places, a database that can be searched for provincial historic places and premises designated by the province. The register is available online at www.rhp-rlp.gnb.ca
Bordage General Store (also called Saint-Louis Grocery)
10520 Principale Street
The historic value of the Bordage General Store as a historic place of local importance comes from the fact that it served as a general store over more than three generations.
Auguste-J. Planking has acquired the general store in 1902, or possibly 1903. He bought from Urbain Babineau, who had opened the store in 1882 and left it to his son Edmond. This general store served the surrounding population from 1902 to 1979, a period of more than 70 years. It also became the home of a branch of the Provincial Bank of Canada from 1920 to 1973.
The historic value of the Bordage General Store also comes from the importance of its former owners who left their mark on the regional and provincial socio-political scene. The store’s builder, Auguste J. Bordage was a provincial MLA in Fredericton for 27 years, from 1917 to 1944. His son, Edmond Bordage was the first mayor of Saint-Louis-de-Kent, from 1966 to 1971.
The site of the Former Butter Factory
10 575 Principale Street
Date of construction: 1892
Description: The site of the former butter factory includes a piece of land, a water wheel and vestiges from a former wharf and former sawmills, on the south shore of the Kouchibouguacis River, namely at 10 575 Principale Street.
Historic value: The historic value of this site as a historic place of local importance comes from the fact that a butter factory used to be in operation at this location. The Saint-Louis-de-Kent butter factory was the first of its kind in New Brunswick. Built by Pierre-L. Richard in 1892, it produced a top-quality butter that was distributed nationally and internationally. This butter factory received honours at several expositions and contests such as the Chicago World Columbian Exposition, world exposition of 1893.
The historic value of the site of the former Saint-Louis-de-Kent butter factory also stems from the fact that it saw the creation of several industries in this area of the village. From 1887 to 1969, this site was that of a variety of businesses such as the butter factory, sawmills, a wool filature, a shipyard and a store. There also existed a wharf which facilitated the transportation of a diversity of goods. This site could also contain valuable archaeological resources.
Former Railway Station
10 617 Principale Street
The Former Railway Station is a one-and-a-half story wooden building built around 1885.
Historic value: The historic value of this site as a historic place of local importance comes from the original use of the building. The building served as the railway station for Saint-Louis-de-Kent from 1885 to 1900. During this period, Kent Northern Railway linked the village to Richibucto. Many of the building’s original indoor and outdoor features have been kept.
The historic value also stems from the fact that it represents a current practice in the village from its beginnings to the end of the 20th century: that of moving a building that wasn’t in use to give it a new vocation. When the station was abandoned, the building was moved over the icy river by horses to its present site. From that point on, it served various functions.
Replica of the Lourdes grotto and calvary
Situated on the hill on the south shore of the Kouchibouguacis River, this is a place of pilgrimage to the patron saint of the Acadian people.
1878 – Erection of the grotto by the parishioners under the direction of Mgr. Marcel-François Richard. The statue of the Virgin Mary was a gift from Mgr. De Ségur from Paris.
The freshwater spring has been here for a hundred years.
1882 – Erection of the calvary. Homage to Mgr. Marcel-François Richard and to all the priests and vicars who contributed to the upkeep and the improvement of the blessed site.
Historic value: The grotto and calvary have been since 1878 and 1882 respectively, a place of pilgrimage to the Virgin Mary, patron saint of the Acadians. Each year, on occasions such as Corpus Christi in June, the Feast of St. Anne on July 26, and the Feast of the Assumption on August 15, a procession or a mass is held near the Grotto.
Nestled on the hillside overlooking the river and surrounded by mature Acadian forest, the Grotto and Calvary present an arrangement of monuments, original statues, and stone walls. This location was chosen for the raising of the Acadian flag during the first Acadian World Congress in 1994. There were 3000 people in attendance, including many dignitaries. Since that day, the Acadian flag has flown on the wharf near the Grotto.
Brideau House (currently houses Pizza 5 Étoiles)
Date of construction: 1904 to 1905
Description: The Brideau House, a two-storey vernacular residence with clapboard siding, is located on Principale Street in the village of Saint-Louis-de-Kent.
The heritage value of the Brideau House as a local historic place resides in the importance of one of its former occupants, Cyriaque Daigle. Mr. Daigle was considered the first village historian for having written "Histoire de Saint-Louis-de-Kent" in 1948, while he was living with his nephew, Cyriac Brideau, the owner of the house at that time. Mr. Daigle was an agrologist and an expert in the dairy industry. In 1914, he founded the egg farmers’ co-op, the first of its kind in New Brunswick. Mr. Daigle was also known for his military career. He was colonel of the Acadian Battalion during World War I.
The Brideau House is also recognized for its architecture, which is representative of a type of framework dating back to the early 20th century, and its imposing location in the heart of the village. The two-storey house, which was built in 1904-1905 by Augustin Brideau, is a good example of the vernacular model inspired by American Four Square design and popularized in villages throughout New Brunswick. As is common practice with this type of structure, the cubic form of the original massing was extended by adding a second space with almost identical proportions to meet growing needs.
The Picnic Grounds
The Picnic Grounds commemorative site is located at the corner of Principale Street (Route 134) and Cape Road, in Saint-Louis-de-Kent.
The site’s value resides in its ties with the community picnics held there every year, beginning in the second half of the 19th century (c1870’s) and continuing until the mid-20th century. The community picnics of the time were among the first gathering points for people in the surrounding area, and their aim was to revive community spirit, give parishioners a chance to talk to each other, offer leisure activities, and raise funds.
Cradle of the Acadian flag
Description: The place recognized as the "Cradle of the Acadian flag" is located at the site of the first church in Saint-Louis-de-Kent and the first presbytery, at the corner of Principale Street (Route 134) and Côté Nord Road. It consists of manicured grounds with monuments.
Heritage Value: The heritage value of this site resides in its ties with Msgr. Marcel-François Richard and Acadia as a whole. Msgr. Richard, who is recognized as the greatest Acadian nationalist of the 19th century and a defender of Acadian rights, played an important role in the preservation and growth of the French language and Acadian culture throughout Acadia. Born in the parish of Saint-Louis-de-Kent in 1847 (died in 1915), he attended the village school before leaving for a few years to further his studies. In 1870, he returned to his native parish as curate, and the following year he became parish priest. He oversaw the construction of fourteen churches, two convents, three presbyteries, one monastery, and about fifty schools. It was here that he was living when he participated in the Acadian National Conventions. At the first Acadian National Convention in Memramcook in 1881, he proposed August 15 as National Acadian Day. At the second Acadian National Convention in Miscouche in 1884, he proposed the Acadian flag as it is currently known. Msgr. Richard asked Marie Babineau, a lady from the parish of Saint-Louis-de-Kent, to make that first Acadian flag. At the same convention, Msgr. Richard proposed Ave Maris Stella as the Acadian national anthem. In September 2005, Msgr. Richard was designated a national historic person.
This site also contains potential archaeological resources from which knowledge could be gained regarding the former church and first presbytery of Saint-Louis-de-Kent.
Saint-Louis College Site
Description: The Saint-Louis College Site is a lawn area with depressions representing the former locations of buildings on the site. It located on the lot at 8 Côté Nord Road, in the Village of Saint Louis de Kent.
Heritage Value: The main value of the Saint-Louis College Site resides in its ties with the Académie Saint-Louis, built in 1874, which later became the Collège Saint-Louis and served as such from 1876 to 1882. Students were instructed in business and classical studies. The college attracted students from all over the Maritimes, as well as Quebec and the United States. These institutions were founded by national historic figure Msgr. Marcel François Richard. Depressions in the ground show the former placement of these buildings.
Another value of the site resides in its link with the telegraph line between Québec City and Halifax. From 1879 to 1882, Antoine Comeau worked as a telegrapher in an office in one of the former buildings on the site. He played an integral role in interprovincial communications by relaying messages between Québec City and Halifax.
The Saint-Louis College Site also has value in the potential archaeological resources on the site. These resources may provide futher information on Saint-Louis College as well as on other projects undertaken by Mgr. Marcel-François Richard.
Sisters of the Congregation of Notre-Dame Convent
Description: Sisters of the Congregation of Notre-Dame Convent is a two-storey, rectangular, modern structure in yellow brick. It is located on Soleil-Couchant Street in Saint-Louis-de-Kent.
Heritage Value: Sisters of the Congregation of Notre-Dame Convent is designated a Local Historic Place for its architecture and for the role that sisters played in the community.
This two-storey rectangular building is a good example of institutional modern architecture from the 1960’s. Built in 1964, this building exibits features that reflect a commercial and institutional architectural trend during this period throughout New Brunswick which involved the use of yellow brick, little ornamentation, and linear fenestration rhythms.
The Sisters of the Congregation of Notre-Dame Convent is recognized for the importance of these sisters in French-language and religious education. The Notre-Dame congregation was established in Saint-Louis-de-Kent in 1874, at the invitation of Msgr. Marcel-François Richard (1847-1915), in order to provide the young girls of the region with quality education. This is the third convent to be built for the congregation in the village and is used mainly as a residence for the sisters.
Heritage value also comes from the contribution of the sisters of the Congregation de Notre-Dame through the wide range of societies and movements they helped to initiate: societies such as Saints-Anges Gardiens, Saint-Enfant-Jésus, and Enfants de Marie, and movements such as Croisade Eucharistique, Jeunesse en marche, Jeunesse Étudiante Catholique, Cercle Sainte-Jeanne d’Arc, Cercle Missionnaire, Guides, Jeannettes, and Joyeux Copains.
Description: The Forge is a public park located at the corner of Principale Street and Côté Nord Road in Saint-Louis-de-Kent. The site is currently known as "Le parc des forgerons".
Heritage Value: The Forge is designated a local historic place for its importance in marking the place where the last blacksmith shops in the village operated.
The Forge is recognized for its association with many industries in the community's history. All trades needed, at one time or another, to call on the services of the blacksmith. Whether is was the farmer who needed horses shoed or his agricultural equipment repaired, the fisherman who needed an anchor or chain mesh for his boat or the lumberjack who needed to build a log lead or a machine to load logs, it was the blacksmith who could reproduce or create the desired part from simple shank or a piece of iron. Its strategic location near the bridge entering the village, the main thoroughfare and agricultural lands made it accessible to all in the region who needed blacksmithing services. A potential for archaeological resources exists relating to the history of the blacksmith trade on this site since the beginning of the 20th century.
The heritage value of The Forge is also related to the social aspect of the trade. All of the villagers would stop at the blacksmith from time to time to give and receive recent news. Tradesmen would chat amongst themselves while waiting for their tools or equipment to be ready, while others simply stopped for conversation with those who were waiting. School children often lingered here after classes, especially when a horse was being shoed.
Today, the site serves as "Le parc des forgerons", a commemorative park that evokes for the townspeople the importance of the former blacksmith trade in the town.